Sunday, February 12, 2012

Blog Assignment 3

Map of Technology for Special Needs



Technology in Special Education
In this video Lacey Cook takes us inside her class and shows us how technology has improved the learning atmosphere. We see first that the iPod Touch has made it easier for one student to be able to stay with his class during silent reading instead of being sent in the hall with someone else since he needs someone to read the story to him. Then we see how computers have made it easier for some others students to communicate with the teacher and their classmates. Before they would have to spell out what they were thinking on a piece of paper that had the alphabet printed in blocks on it. She also has students in her class that have vision problems and with the software ZoomText they are able to read and complete assignments in less time instead of spending a lot of time trying to figure out what the assignments say.
Technology has had a positive impact on the way special education is taught. As I've already said, it makes communication easier, assignments faster, and keeps the class together when some have needs that others don't. I think I would be able to use technology for the special needs of my class in the same way. I would be able to communicate better and keep my class together. At the same time I would use it in much the same way we do here at South, with e-College. At least, I would try to do things like put grades and assignments online, and probably the notes for different subjects as well.

How the iPad Works with Academics for Autism

Gare Hayes Social Media Count
The Social Media Counter is super freaky. It is the kind of thing that gives Terry Freedman and Karl Fisch's arguments a back bone. I say this because they are all for technological literacy from teachers today and this counter shows how technical our society is. Most of the numbers on the counter were over 1,000 after only 1 or 2 seconds.

These changes for my career mean that I need to update my use of the computer, internet and social networks. To me, all of those things are going to be popular in the classroom by the time I get there so I want to go ahead and prepare myself for the future. I would think that since I want to start off all the way down in kindergarten that it would no be so mandatory but then I look at my old neighbors 5 year old daughter and remember that I sat there with her on the computer while she played educational games during the summer to keep her mind sharp for the upcoming school year. I know that this means I will be doing many things with my students both on and off the computer, becuase after all you can't get a complete learning experience on the computer.

Micheal Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
This video was much like the original Did You Know? 3.0 as it gave fact after fact of useful and insightful information. As a student, I look at this and think about how many of the things that were said that I also do or used to do. The number is quite big as I also will sit in class on FaceBook, goofing off, or reading my e-mail, anything but pay attention to the teacher and lecture being given. I also am amazed by the number of students that actually helped with the information in the video as so many of my classmates here will complain about just wanting to get class over with, and it makes me wonder if KSU would be a better place for me as the students there seem to like to help out with projects and don't mind being in class.

As a future educator however, I look at this video and think of how much different it is going to be when I am in the classroom. There will be no sitting in circles and talking about ourselves or even just telling stories, instead the students are going to want to be on the computer and may have a technological way of thinking. This means that they will want to be online and have me on the board in the front of the room walking them through the steps of a program, not doing a powerpoint which will be outdated by this time.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jenny!

    NO image? You know you need one for each post, girl. Tsk-tsk. Also, you need the links. You have one. That's a nice start. :) The post is nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bailey!

    Sorry I don't know what I was thinking when I forgot the image and links. All is fixed now. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeni! I thought your blog post was very well written and grammatically very sound. I only have a couple constructive criticisms. I would advise placing links to the origins of the topics you are discussing so the reader can go to the webpage you are referencing. The other, already stated above by Ms. Hammond, is to add pictures. Other than those two small additions, your contributions are solid!
    Hope you have a good semester!

    ReplyDelete