Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blog Assignment 3

C4C Portion
      This week the video on peer editing helped me figure out how to write a proper comment on my classmates blog posts. It talked of the compliments, suggestions and corrections we should include in each of these comments.

Kelly Hines

edurati review


Ms. Hines discusses four very important things that teachers must recognize in order to be better educators. Included is teachers as learners, that learning and teaching are not the same thing, technology being useless without good teaching and finally to be a part of 21st century teaching without the technology. She reminds teachers that they are also learners and that if your student is not learning the material no natter how many times you "teach" it than maybe you should rethink your idea of teaching.

I agree with Ms. Hines that teachers now days do need to re evaluate the way they are "teaching" because as we all see the students are simply regurgitating what the teacher says and the minute they are done with a subject every thing they have "learned" about it gets removed from their brains. I also agree that teachers using technology is useless if the students are still unsure of what concepts they are supposed to be grasping.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

In Mr. Fisch's blog he first shows the opinion of Terry Freedman from the Technology Learning Blog, who is of a technological literate persuasion. He believes that all educators should be technologically literate and if they aren't they should be fired. Fisch then goes on to post a blog he wrote in February of 2006 but never published because he didn't think it was the right time. In that post he also talks about he need for educators to have a technological background. He compares today's teachers being technologically illiterate to teachers 30 years ago being unable to read and write.

I partially agree with Mr. Fisch's post because I do think that teachers need to have some understanding of technology in today's computer savvy world. It is outdated to believe that everything can be taught and learned with a chalk/whiteboard, pencil and paper. True, some students still learn this way and many teachers would prefer it stay like this but that is not possible with the way the majority of students learn today!

Gary Hines Social Media Counter




This thing is super freaky. It is the kind of thing that gives Terry Freedman and Karl Fisch's arguments a back bone. I say this because they are all for technological literacy from teachers today and this counter shows how technical our society is. I mean most of those numbers are above 10,000 and that is a lot!

These changes for my career mean that I need to update my use of the computer, internet and social networks. To me, all of those things are going to be popular in the classroom by the time I get there so I want to go ahead and prepare myself for the future. I would think that since I want to start off all the way down in kindergarten that it would no be so mandatory but then I look at my old neighbors 5 year old daughter and remember that I sat there with her on the computer while she played educational games during the summer to keep her mind sharp for the upcoming school year. I know that this means I will be doing many things with my students both on and off the computer, becuase after all you can't get a complete learning experience on the computer.

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

This video was much like Did You Know? 3.0 as it gave fact after fact of useful and insightful information. As a student, I look at this and think about how many of the things that were said that I also do or used to do. The number is quite big as I also will sit in class on FaceBook, goofing off, or reading my e-mail, anything but pay attention to the teacher and lecture being given. I also am amazed by the number of students that actually helped with the information in the video as so many of my classmates here will complain about just wanting to get class over with, and it makes me wonder if KSU would be a better place for me as the students there seem to like to help out with projects and don't mind being in class.

As a future educator however, I look at this video and think of how much different it is going to be when I am in the classroom. There will be no sitting in circles and talking about ourselves or even just telling stories, instead the students are going to want to be on the computer and may have a technological way of thinking. This means that they will want to be online and have me on the board in the front of the room walking them through the steps of a program, not doing a powerpoint which will be outdated by this time.

2 comments:

  1. "I agree with Ms. Hines that teachers now days do need to re evaluate the way they are "teaching" because as we all see the students are simply regurgitating what the teacher says and the minute they are done with a subject every thing they have "learned" about it gets removed from their brains. I also agree that teachers using technology is useless if the students are still unsure of what concepts they are supposed to be grasping." I have never seen this approach taken with regard to ms. Hines post but it is quite apropos! Nice.

    Your counter is at the end of 10 1/2 minutes (minus 4 seconds). And 14 million Google searches and 14 1/2 million YouTube videos watched is a lot more than 10,000. I just noticed something. Videos watched and searches are the same. There must be a problem in his algorithm. No, maybe not. I just ran it for 90 seconds and got these numbers: videos watched 3.1 million, searches made 2.0 million. So he has either corrected or you have an old picture. Where did you get your picture? I see it is dated January 2011. And here is something else I just realized: The number of videos watched is 1.5 times the number of Google searches. Now that is truly amazing!

    "I need to update my use of the computer, internet and social networks. To me, all of those things are going to be popular in the classroom by the time I get there" ...going to be...?

    Don't forget: I want to know where you got the Jan 2011 image of Hayes' counter. Send me an email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Strange,
    I emailed you just a second ago about the counter. As for "going to be" I meant that most teachers right now do not have many things to do in the classroom with social networks or the internet. Unless you look at it from a research point of view and then they do. I know they use computers in the class and have been for a while, I truly just meant that here soon they are going to be using them pretty much without the aid of books, like your class and Dr. Baggett's class are.

    ReplyDelete